stoerer 10 2016 | NEWS
721 billion $ to be spent via mobile payments
Every fourth euro last year was transacted using a tablet or smartphone. 2016 will see this figure rise to a third. Studies even forecast that the mobile payments industry is set to grow to 721 billion USD worldwide by 2017.
The turnover of e-commerce completed with tablets in 2015 increased by 131.1% on the previous year; with smartphones, this figure is 77.6%. Smartphone usage is at its peak between 5 pm and 8 pm. Digitalisation is also offering online shop operators ever new opportunities: for example, shipping services are increasingly offering customer services via WhatsApp. MasterCard, who is a paysafecard partner with paysafecard MasterCard, is currently testing a payment method for online shopping in which payments are not confirmed with a password, but with a selfie.
MOBILE SHOPPING INCREASINGLY POPULAR
While mobile shopping is becoming increasingly popular, mobile payments in the German language region (the “stronghold of cash”) are still in their infancy. Local internet users there remain sceptical to paying by smartphone in comparison to, for example, the USA: The paysafecard study 2016 found that Austrian internet users are particularly keen on “their” cash in comparison to the rest of the world: 57% prefer cash over cashless payment methods when paying (international average 37.2%). The question of whether customers will accept mobile payments there remains one of the most exciting questions of the digital future. But one thing is already certain: mobile payments as a concept will only be able to win over the trust of customers when they are able to offer them fast and convenient payment transactions, and thereby a clear advantage.
- International E-Commerce Study 2016 by RetailMeNot;
- Study “Revenues development in e-commerce via mobile and static devices in Germany in 2015 in comparison to the previous year“ by Deals.com;
- CRR; www.forward-adgroup.de/advertising/marktforschung/digitalmarkt/info/mobile-effects-studie-2016
- Study “Worldwide turnover with mobile payments from 2010 to 2012 and forecasts for 2013 and 2017 (in billions USD)” by Gartner; Goldman Sachs;
- “PR study paysafecard” by Marketagent, November and June 2015